20 in 6 Resident Lecture Competition
What is it?
The EMRA 20 in 6 Resident Lecture Competition occurs at ACEP’s Scientific Assembly every year and is hosted by residents, for residents. We seek out the best resident speakers in the country and each year, they compete for the title “Best Resident Lecturer.” Residents are given up to six minutes and exactly 20 slides to lecture on any topic that is relevant to emergency medicine. It’s designed to be a fast-paced, intellectually-stimulating event in a fun, EMRA-style atmosphere.
- First Place: Jon Smart, MD - UT Health San Antonio; "Right Heart on Fire - Pulmonary Hypertension"
- Second Place: Katie Lupez, MD - Carolinas Medical School; "Human Jetpacks"
- Third Place: Carolyn Comissaris, MD - University of Michigan; "You're not dead until you are cold and dead: Management of Cardiac Arrest due to Hypothermia"
Left to right: Rob Orman, MD; Mizuho Spangler, DO; Jon Smart, MD; Allen Chang, MD; Michael Gisondi, MD
Congratulations to the 2018 speakers who will be competing for the title “Best Resident Lecturer.”
- Neel Andharia, DO. PGY-2, Staten Island University Hospital, Staten Island, NY
- Darian Arman, MD. PGY-2, Mount Sinai St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital, New York, NY
- Aaron Blackshaw, MD. PGY-3, University of Virginia Hospital, Charlottesville, VA
- Sophia Bodnar, DO. PGY-3, University of Illinois in Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Carolyn Commissaris, MD. PGY-3, University of Michigan Hospital, Ann Arbor, MI
- Andrew D’Alessandro, MD. PGY-2, Vanderbilt University Hospital, Nashville, TN
- Kathryn Fisher, MD. PGY-3, McGovern Emergency Medicine, Houston, TX
- Matthew Gangidine, MD. PGY-2, Wright State University Hospital, Dayton, OH
- David Kaltman, MD. PGY-3, Northwesten University Hospital, Chicago, IL
- Katie Lupez, MD. PGY-3, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC
- Isabel Malone, MD. PGY-3, Emory University Hospital, Atlanta, GA
- Jillian Nickerson, MD. PGY-4, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
- Manavjeet Sidhu, MD. PGY-3, UCSF-Fresno Hospital, Fresno, CA
- Jon Smart, MD. PGY-3, University of Texas Health San Antonio Hospital, San Antonio, TX
- Emily Wheelis, MD. PGY-3 EM/IM, University of Illinois in Chicago, Chicago, IL
This Year's Judges
We recruit the best of the best lecturers and teachers in the specialty to judge this competition.
Allen Chang, MD
Stanford University Hospital/Kaiser Permanente Emergency Medicine Residency
Mizuho Spangler, DO
Assistant Professor Clinical Emergency Medicine
University of Southern California + USC Medical Center
Editor in Chief, Hippo Education Podcasts